Skip to main content

Why on Earth was I ever afraid of marriage?

I remember a time when I was afraid of marriage.  Why was this so?  I feared making the wrong choice. (As if I could actually know how to make the right choice.)  I knew God was trying to choose for me, but I didn't know that I was afraid to trust him.  It became apparent to me in the middle of an ophthalmology clinic during medical school.  Dr. Siatkowski challenged me. I in turn had to face myself in the mirror.  Not just any mirror, but a mirror that eliminates all that had clouded my view of my true motivations.  I started to cry and had to go sit in the restroom for a while to collect myself.  

I discovered that for my whole life I had been telling God, "I want what you want for me... I trust you."  But they had only been words, no meaning.  What I had been living was a, "I want what you want for me if I approve and it also matches what I think I want for myself."  When I saw the real me, I was ashamed.  

I know God doesn't always protect us from suffering.  I know to step into marriage meant that I had to open myself to the possibility of suffering and pain in my life, embrace it, and love through it.  This isn't just "love", it is "LOVE"... It says, "I will die for you, and make you more important than myself."  When I realized that, my mind raced around thinking of terrible scenarios, most of which involved catastrophic health problems both physical and mental, it also included thoughts of Hosea.  

God told Hosea to marry a prostitute who would continue to be unfaithful... and God told him that he had to love her and never stop forgiving and loving her.  Hosea's wife wrecked his life, but he never stopped loving her, he gave his life for her... not that he died, but he threw his dreams away to love her.  This is the way God loves us.  God calls us to love our spouse the way that he loves us.

Before you get married.  Ask yourself if you are willing to throw your life away to love the other person.  If you cannot answer that in the affirmative... you may be too selfish and self-absorbed to have what it takes to make a marriage work, when times are "for worse" and instead of the hoped "for better".

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi