Skip to main content

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing!

Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!”


I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desired to abandon the comfort of her own bed, an opt for the mystery of the unknown. While I’d be gone for 5 hours each of the days there, we’d have more time together than if she stayed home. I’m glad she came. It really made the trip much more worth while. I enjoy trips where the two of us get to explore new areas.


Getting there.


We flew from Tulsa to Las Vegas into a four hour layover. By the time we got out of there and back into the air, I starting struggling a bit on the emotions. I thought, “Is this worth it?” I used to find the days flying to be somewhat enjoyable. Eating in an airport restaurant, and walking around. Felt kind of fun. But given the residue of covid precautions and a desire to not get sick, crowding into an overflowing airport restaurant doesn’t sound fun. We did find some food to enjoy, but the price tag is just so disturbing for the quality that it is a mixed emotion. When we have been in the air for a total of 4 hours somewhere over California, I start thinking. Maybe I just don’t like travel the way I used to. The burden of the travel is now overshadowing the excitement of discovery. I choose to table those emotions, and try to look for the enjoyment.


We arrived in Eugene, OR and got our rental car. It was a very cheap upgrade to the Audi A4, which is a really lovely car to drive! We relish the heated seats for the remainder of the trip. I feel impatient now to replace our cars. But, all in good time. We managed to find a really great place to eat. Xicha Brewing. We had cauliflower pastor nachos and chimichanga and they were exceptional! We arrived at 4pm and we had the place almost to ourselves, so Vanessa felt comfortable eating inside there. Which, given the outside temp in the 40’s, was welcomed by me. After eating way too much, we drove the next 2.5 hours to our house rental. I was a little bummed that we drove in the dark. I remembered the drive being beautiful.


GOLF


Golf here is just so great! It really feels like golf as it was meant to be. Immersed in nature. No golf carts. No concrete golf paths. I had a caddy to aid in the experience. I love having a local caddy. They know the course, they know where to hit the ball, how the putts break. I definitely owe many shots saved to Jason. My negative feelings about the burden of travel from the previous day have now been replaced by excitement of where I get to play golf! I am pumped!





SHEEP RANCH.


Day 1: This is the newest of the courses. It’s supposed be shorter, quirky, and open links style. You can see the ocean from almost every hole. I hit the ball extremely well. I’m not even sure I missed a fairway. Hit 14 greens in regulation. If it weren’t for playing in rain and having to navigate the challenges of putting on water logged greens I believe I could have ended the day under par. As it was, I did manage to shoot a one-over par 73. It felt very rewarding to play well on a golf trip that will forever be remembered.


Before golf, Vanessa and I woke early as usual, and we drove into town, hit up the grocery store and a coffee shop. The weather wasn’t very conducive to doing much else. But we were able to enjoy the simplicities of the task together, all the while seeing new places.


Day two. We woke super early, as is usual for us. We went into town and tried another coffee shop. It was in a giant warehouse. It was fine, coffee was pretty good for a dark roast. The place was freezing however. It’s 43 degrees outside and they propped the door open so a constant cold breeze came in. WHY?! After this, the sun was coming up, and we drove around. Checking out different state parks that gave beach access and amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. 





By the time we got to Bullard State Park the sun was up and it bathed our bodies in warmth. We were able to talk a walk through the forest. It really feels unique there. It’s different than the pine forests in Colorado. Giant ferns, tons of moss everywhere. It was completely delightful. I also felt connected in the shared new experience with my lovely bride. Loved seeing smiles across her face as she enjoyed the morning nature walk.






BANDON TRAILS



Now, on to golf! Bandon Trails. Despite not having ocean views, I’d say it’s probably the funnest course to play. Dramatic contours in the fairway, cut through massive pines. While there is no ocean, it still feels dramatic and unique. There really isn’t anything like it in Oklahoma where I live. 


It’s actually the least popular course there, though my caddy told me that all the caddies there think it’s the best course. For the entire round, there were only three groups on the course. And since it was so non-busy, I was not paired with anyone. I asked my caddy if he could play a round with me, instead of just me playing solo golf round. After several phone calls he had it arranged as permissible. While he and I played, he still needed to earn his fee, so he carried two bags across the 8 miles of very hilly terrain. Amazing what the body can get used to doing. That would have thoroughly worn me out! A few holes into the round, the sun emerged and persisted! What a gift!





As for my play, I didn’t hit my drier as perfect, but I kept it in play. A few other disappointing shots in the round, but my wedge play was better than my average. Still managed to make 3 birdies on route to a two-over par 74. Another satisfying day on the course!


At the end of this round, Vanessa met me at the club house, which was also not busy, and while she’s not really been keen on eating out since covid, liking to avoid crowds, we both very very comfortable getting a bite to eat, and I tried the hazy IPA brewed just for Bandon Dunes. Everything was enjoyable and it really felt like a celebration at the end of another epic day!





PACIFIC DUNES


Day Three. Woke early again, no alarm clock needed. We hit up a club house restaurant as soon as they opened, still dark and very early, we were the only patrons in the place! We went specifically for lemon ricotta pancakes. After we sat down, the waitress said, “well, we don’t have the pancakes today. Hope your heart wasn’t set on that.” But our hearts were set on it. We are vegan enough that breakfast eggs and sausages is nauseating. We got a very over priced and under sized avocado toast. Still hungry. Prior to leaving however, the missing ingredient arrived from a neighboring clubhouse restaurant and they went ahead and made us some pancakes for free! And they did NOT disappoint! “We’ll see you tomorrow!”


Still dark out. So we headed back into town and hit up Warehouse Coffee again. But too cold to stay in there! We got back into the Audi and cranked up the heated seats and drove to a coastal view to see first light. Much more enjoyed! Simply another world compared to home back in Oklahoma.







Next, we ventured out to hike some of the trails around the Bandon resort. Nothing strenuous. But all still magical forests and ocean views. It just a simple shared activity, but it really is a shared experience that connects us together in the unique and beautiful moment! Just loved it.






My third and final round was at Pacific Dunes. This is a Tom Doak design, and I have found a lot of pleasure in his designs. He famously updated the Tulsa treasure of Southern Hills before the last PGA championship. This course has some of the pines of the Trails, but the majority is a theme of the Pacific Ocean. There are several holes with dunes that tower over you. There was still some struggle with my driver. I think my body just gets a little tired, and a bad swing with a bad result introduced a little fear into my swing. But, I still managed to hit many excellent shots, and thanks to two very memorable chip ins, I secured a three-over par, 75. Again, a satisfying number. 






My first chip in was actually to save a par after my poor drive lead to a troubled hole. I hooked my third approach shot, a full wedge in, into a deep bunker. This was my second bunker shot of the entire trip. Typically I would not consider bunker play as a strong point of my game. I can get out, and I can typically get it close enough for an easy two putt, and an outside chance of a sand save. However, this time… the ball came out great, and tracked all the way into the hole. The other guys playing with me threw their hands to the heavens yelled out of excitement! They are “average” golfers, so a bunker hole out at Bandon Dunes is a wild exotic event! Felt good. 


My round was closed by a missed approach shot left of the green. Ball very elevated above the putting surface with a ton a slope down towards the hold with little green to work with. I honestly didn’t think about trying to make it, I just hoped to get it with in six feet. The lie was very downhill. I took my 57 degree wedged, laid it open severely. Made some practice strokes, feeling the ground and determining abount of bounce to play, and how much to angle my shoulders to the slope. I figured I would need a reasonable amount of clubhead speed to get through the wet grass, but I was afraid of the energy this would impart to the ball. I didn’t need that much. I decided to play the ball on the toe of the wedge, so it wouldn’t hit the sweet spot and less energy would be transferred. I made my swing and initially it felt like too much, but it went high like hoped. It landed beyond the severe downslope and landed quite softly. And as it trickled forward taking the slope it was clear… it was going in! Chip in birdie on the final hole?! Playing partners again throwing their hands to the heavens and yelling out elation and congratulations! Could not have been more fun!!! What a day!


CONCLUSION


All-in-all, it was a good trip! Definitely worth having gone. The travel burden was not small, but the novelty of everything and the natural beauty of the golf definitely rewarded. While I would consider a return trip, I think this trip really "scratched the itch" and I should be good for awhile. I think when I do return, I'd like to convince some friends to go with me. It adds another dimension to the golf experience. I am super thankful Vanessa came, and that she was able to accept the parts of the trip that were not consistent with what she would want in a vacation, and to grace me to enjoy the experience and golf as much as possible.


While we were trudging through the long day of flying home, we discussed how we used to like flying, but now we may actually prefer to drive. If the trip is drivable. Oregon coast is not drivable in one day. So, we accept the displeasure of flying for this. But we look forward to our next driving vacation, back to one of our favorite states, Colorado!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you