Skip to main content

FEELING SAD AT CHRISTMAS, 2007.

Does anyone else feel sad at Christmas? I usually am having a great holiday spending time with family, visiting friends, and having time off of work... then it happens. I feel sad. Down. Just as the sadness hits for the year, I it strikes me, "I felt sad last Christmas too!" I try to hide the sadness. I try to put on a fake smile so that others won't notice.

Why do I feel sad??? It always hits immediately after or during the gift exchange. Some of the proposed mechanisms for this "bad" feeling are discussed below:

1. I may feel guilty for getting expensive things, when others have little or none.

2. I know that I feel bad when I find myself not liking a gift that was given to me. Sometimes the reason I don't like the gift is because I think its ugly... and I know that the person who bought it for me thinks it's wonderful... This makes me feel horrible, I feel as if I am pretentious, elitist or a snob. Though to have different tastes is only natural.

3. I also feel bad (more guilt here) for putting on a polite smile (which we all know means "fake") and try to look excited while opening a gift (while I think about exchanging it... mentally tallying up its dollar value).

4. I feel bad when I get a gift that I've done perfectly well without, a gift that has little or no return or exchange potential, a gift that will now be a rarely or never used "thing" to clutter up my home. I hate clutter, its oppressive.

5. I feel guilty for not giving gifts of the same total dollar value to the person with whom I'm exchanging. This year my wife said, "well, next year we'll be able to give more but we had a small budget this year." I felt myself feeling worse after that... I was hoping maybe we could institute a spending limit so we wouldn't get so much stuff next year. Or possibly avoid gift exchanging altogether.


That's just about it....

No, wait, here's more. I don't like eating Christmas sweets, but I do it. Poor self-control in the face of impulse. They're bad for me. I don't want to become fat or clog my arteries. There's a reason I don't buy that stuff!!! If its at my house, I eat it... then I feel bad about it afterwards. But if I throw it away as soon as its given to me, I feel guilty for not being grateful. I feel like I threw it away in front of them and then spit in their face.

After all of my junk I just laid down on the screen above, I come to the most powerful reason I feel bad... I see all of the gluttony, materialism, and pleasure-centric festivities involving so many "Christians" (myself included) yet none of us did anything to love the poor, the hungry, or the suffering this Christmas. I feel like a fraud. Isn't that the whole point of being "Christ-like"?

I don't I want any gifts next year. I don't think I even want to give gifts next year. No, I take that back... I do want gifts, in the form of gifts given to the poor in honor of how I feel about Christ. I would also like to get my family and friends together for a great dinner to celebrate community and love... then go out and love our community. Maybe then I wouldn't feel sad at Christmas.

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i