Skip to main content

Why I like coffee

Why I like coffee

I'm reading "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller.  Great book.  At least I think so... He writes about things that most people don't put to words. Things that most people just feel.  Its good to have those things put to words, explained, and largely brought to closure.  He is good at doing that.  He is open enough to let you feel what he was going through. Descriptive enough to allow yourself to realize what similar things you’ve gone through... and to ponder it.  Don used to be terribly lonely. He later started living in community, before this... he mentioned coffee shops. If he felt lonely, there were always coffee shops.

What is it about coffee shops? I never went to them until I was in med-school.  It came out of my feeling of loneliness at home.  Its not that I actually felt lonely, but as I studied in seclusion, time seemed to stand still.  I couldn't study more than 30 minutes before I just felt like I couldn't do it any longer.  I started going to coffee shops and found I could sit in there for 2-4 hours with contentment.  It felt good to see people coming and going.  To see the world existed and hadn't stopped just because I was in med-school.  When I graduated, I continued to frequent coffee shops.  But I don't like the corporate chain coffee shops.  I go to Double Shot Coffee 99% of the time. Recently though, I went to the new one downtown. Topeca. It was their grand opening. It had been in business for approximately 1 hour.  I had been there a mere 3 minutes before Geordan sat down at my table. I didn’t know him. But we became acquainted. I learned he was the bassist for the Umbrellas and his new project, The Dead Sea Choir.  We had conversation.  

When I go to Double-Shot, I can have as much conversation as I desire.  I think the independent coffee shop attracts people who thrive on community. People who don't see strangers as strangers, but as friends whom they haven’t yet met.

I like coffee shops.  I like community.  God made us to live in community.  If you feel lonely, seek out a coffee shop, one that is unique and locally owned and feels artsy, not corporate.

David MD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi