Skip to main content

I'm not God.

I've heard for decades that as a man and a follower of Christ, I am to be a spiritual leader for my wife. Sounds good. Noble. Holy. I've been married now almost four years. For more than four years I've been quite frustrated in this role. Many attempts seem to cause more of a rift that a holy moment of growth.

I've been praying for some time that God would give me wisdom in this role. He is moving. He has brought my attention to some "agreements" I've made that are based on lies from our cunning enemy. You know him as Satan. He is real... and he intends to destroy us.

So, what is this "agreement"?? For years and years I've been living under the thought that "It is up to me to lead and move my wife in her spiritual growth." In more recent times its been even more severe... "God is the only way out of this difficult trial. If I don't see my wife vigorously seeking Him, then I must lead her to Him or we will both be stuck in this dark place." In essence, I'm trying to "be God" or more precisely the Holy Spirit. How ridiculous! It's not up to me to do that which I cannot even do for myself. It is God who first loved me. Is it me who leads me to the truth? No! It's the Holy Spirit.

God said, "David! Let me be God. You be a husband... and love her!"

So then, what is this spiritual leadership? It's not leading as a coach leads his team. It's doing the very thing that I hope and pray she does. My leadership is to look like this... I seek God, he leads me. God works in me to make me more like his son. Baring the fruit of the spirit. I share with Vanessa my journey. I share with her my struggles and what God says to me as I seek him. She sees God's glory and the work of his hand and is inspired to do the same.

It seems so obvious.

David.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi