Skip to main content

A Blizzard of Simplicity

It came down in swirls and gusts. At times obscuring the view of my neighbor’s house across the street. Their house has the architectural style that begs for a mountain lot, perhaps Colorado... and now, finally it enjoys the weather befitting its personality. It looks complete. By evening time, the world had been translated into a high contrast monochromatic wonderland. All of the deadness of winter now covered up by a 14” thick blanket of pure white snow; beauty. There were drifts, blown by the wind, they try to swallow up even the biggest of cars, mailboxes, and the occasional house. As the next two days unfold, I realize the snow swallowed up even more. Gone was busyness, shopping, deadlines, timelines, work, traffic jams, road rage, the call of materialism, and a multitude of other dimensions of this American life.

I watch my neighbor through my big picture window struggling with his truck. He tries to get out of the driveway, but instead spends two hours shoveling futilely, finally accepting defeat. The blizzard says, “No, I said stay at home. Rest. Enjoy the simple of life.”

The 2011 “blizzard” reduced life to its simplest form. It was God’s reminder to a multi-state region that life does not have to be busy. Man made it busy. We worship and serve materialism, which requires always... just “a little bit” more, such as a shinier car, with air conditioned seats... or a bigger TV... more stylish clothes... bigger house... bigger boat, etc. Much of these pursuits aren’t really about enjoyment of the possession, but we hope the possessions improve our image and thus raise our status. The opiate of materialism is pursued in hopes it would make us feel important, valuable, or just “okay”. ... It all requires just “a little bit” more money. This requires just “a little bit” more work and busyness. It sacrifices just “a little bit” more of that simple life which I think God intended us to live.

Through the simple beauty of the snow, He now tries to remind us that we can live simply, again.

David

Comments

  1. That is one of my favorite parts of being snowed in as well. Enjoying peace and relaxation. Seeing the drifts of snow reminds me that God is in control. Love the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi