Skip to main content

Mystery Diseases or Fakers?

I have a unique hospitalist job. The "gray team" takes all unassigned stroke and TIA patients. As a result, we also get all of these patients with a strange constellation of neurologic-like symptomatology. Most of which is not explainable. Some have been complex migraines, where the migraine headache actually causes neurologic symptoms. Some of been conversion disorder, wherein the patient undergoes a strong stressor or catastrophic event and the brain, psychologically tries to protect itself, by creating a neurologic deficit… paralysis, blindness, etc. Usually, the patients are not supposed to be alarmed by their symptoms. There is no measurable problem that doctors can detect. They have normal imaging, normal nerve conduction studies, lab tests, etc. What happens is on the subconscious level. They are not intentionally faking it, they believe this is happened to them.

There are other patients who don't seem to follow the definition of conversion disorder. There are no great stressors or triggering events, they do not seem apathetic about their situation. In fact they seem terrified. I had one patient recently, a very nice genuine simple country boy type of a fellow who was a pastor. He said, "I just want to get better" as a tear rolls down his cheek. I believe him. But his symptoms don't add up! His exam fluctuates and does not look "organic" but looks like inconsistent in effort. But I do not think he does this on purpose. I think its on the subconscious level again. He is also newly experiencing debilitating headaches. All of the dangerous causes for these headaches have been ruled out… what causes these?! How do I help him?! When the symptoms he experiences are likely psychogenic, but he won't admit to any stressors but this illness… how can I help? where did this illness come from?

Interestingly, this man claims to have had no headaches or neurologic symptoms until he was giving his testimony in front of a congregation when a severe headache struck him down in the middle of his testimony. Is there still a spiritual warfare wherein the body is attacked physically? If so, how can God make me into a physician who can address these and be his instrument of aid to these people?

What role does God want to use my wife's illness to shape me as a physician?
I believe there is more to health than just the physical body. There is a body-mind connection. I am starting to appreciate and believe a spirit-mind connection, therefore spirit-body connection as well.

I'm trying different approaches to these patients. The "strong-arm" doesn't seem to do them any good… it just gets them out of the hospital a day earlier, that's all. I've used a different approach with my country pastor, and though his symptoms haven't disappeared, they are improving. And he does believe that they will eventually go away and that they aren't dangerous. I helped him understand that western medicine has figured out all of the "dangerous" disease states, thought there are mysteries left, they are usually self limiting or not particularly harming. And I think that's true.

david

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi