Skip to main content

God, I am yours.

As much as I have longed for stability and comfort, I haven't been granted that as of yet. But God is writing an interesting story in my life… and in that story He is faithful.

So, as most of you know my sweet wife has had some health problems. Pretty major health problems actually. Things got "flared up" again and she was sicker than sick. We went into see her PCP and one look at Vanessa and she said, "I'm admitting you to the hospital." Once we were there it was clear to me that indeed, she needed it. Her resting heart rate was 158 due to her dehydration from how sick she'd been. When I walked into the hospital room, I just started crying. So many scary and painful memories of her almost three week hospital admission almost two years ago. Though when I look back on those weeks, though they were painful… God was there. There was the time when I became too tired to play with Vanessa's hair to comfort her so I laid down, and she looked up an hour later amazed that I was still playing with her hair only to see that no one was there. We like to say that Jesus was playing with her hair, comforting her during her illness. There were many other small things that happened along the way… times where Jesus "showed up".

The biggest and most wonderful thing that God did for us was that God restored her to health and granted an end to the hospitalization safely. That may sound silly to some… some might say, "she'd get better, that's what bodies do." But as a hospital physician, I don't take anything like that for granted. I've seen too many complications and terrible things happen, even to young previously healthy people. Young mothers ending up quadriplegic or brain dead… all because the things we do as doctors while over all are fairly safe, they "flirt" with death. We put people to sleep where they cannot breath or protect their airway while splitting their body wide open and cutting their organs up and reattaching them. Don't take for granted how dangerous that is… its amazing! So, when Vanessa made it home safely, that is a big deal.

A few hours of sitting there in the hospital room in silence as Vanessa lay motionless slowly soaking up her IV fluid… I began to appreciate God's faithfulness and control in my life. I began to feel a bit more at peace. Yes, I admit I'd rather not be there at that moment, but God is in control and I trusted that he has plans to prosper us as the Bible says. I stand before God a more obedient man, closer to him, more right with him. I sensed his love more clearly and my trust in him had grown.

The next morning a friend brought me some Double Shot coffee and shared with me the downtrodden spirit of a mutual friend. From my wife's hospital room, her condition still not having improved, I was able to proclaim God's faithfulness to my friend with conviction. God rallied his spirit back into a place of faith and hope for his own situation. I found it surprising that such a thing could happen when faced from such a troubled spot.

My wife did make it out of the hospital and she has continued to improve. In fact she has improved remarkably. She has been almost completely without pain and certainly without severe nausea. She hasn't felt this good in three months! It has been dramatic. Dramatic! I think today would be the fifth day of feeling good. I have thanked God profusely for the good thing he has blessed us with, but I do admit I am scared to assume this is a long lasting healing as He has blessed her with temporary respite in the past. I have proclaimed to my God that even if the pain returns to my sweetest wife, that I will not stop trusting Him.

My view of God is getting bigger. How has he changed her body to give her freedom from this pain? From where I sit, it looks like she was hit with a virulent GI bug that made her tremendously sick, only to become more well than she's been in a long time. Did God use disease causing agents, something that exist in the world because of the fall, for his purpose to shift something within Van's GI tract? He commands everything! He commands the viruses that can attack us… With his hand he can order the bacteria that repopulate her gut to restore the symbiosis he intended for her gut. He is mysterious! Nothing is out of his control! If this were how he wanted to heal my wife… He did it by first taking us back to the hospital to face our fears and to "trust Him" in the face of our worst nightmare… and at least for now. He has shown up. He has shown us mercy and kindness. It is up to Him whether this miracle lasts… or if the pain and nausea return. But as I said before, even if the pain returns. I WILL TRUST HIM. Because nothing happens without His consent.

I can look back at the past two years of struggles and pain, and I can see a thread of blessing running through it all. I am not the same man. She is not the same woman. Our marriage is not the same. Our relationship with our Heavenly Father is not the same… on all accounts, it is better. Speaking personally, the changes I have gone through couldn't have happened if our life was that of comfort and pleasure.

God, I am yours. I trust you. Please write my story.

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi