Skip to main content

Isaiah

No, I'm not talking about Isaiah the barista at Double Shot... I am talking about Isaiah chapter 43. An old friend from college whom I haven't seen in at least 8 years read my previous blog and sent me an encouraging email and referenced a scripture in Isaiah 43. Truth is I had been hurting. Life has been painful. I felt hopeless and lost with my wife suffering a medical condition that her docs (and I) haven't quite pinned down. (granted they have gotten her past several serious conditions, but the layers to her health issues have been many.) Anyways... I was thinking...

I thought back to a friend... Okay, it is partially about Isaiah the barista. He had told me how he would get home from work and spend 4 hours in prayer and scripture and go to bed... he got more of God, and God delivered him to where he needed to be. I thought about my friend Tyler... how he's say, "I want more Him [Jesus]" I realized I had been praying during my trial, but I hadn't been truly seeking "more of God in me". I needed to read his word. So, I thought... I'll see what Isaiah 43 has to offer, Kyle wanted me to read one verse, maybe the rest is good.

Tears were pouring down my face by the time I finished the chapter. It spoke directly to my heart. It was convicting, comforting, reassuring, awe inspiring. God is mighty... and he is working to build something new in me that couldn't be built unless there was suffering. He is here with me, and I am not afraid. I do need more of Him... more of His love to fill me to help me love Vanessa the way she needs to be loved during this long and painful valley. God, I want you! Fill me up!

dngilb


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i