Skip to main content

Life Update 2016, Fostering.

In the wake of a failed fertility treatment journey was confusion and heart ache. Hearts do not heal fast. The life long dreams of a woman must be grieved. Faith in the goodness of God is put to the test. Is he really for me? Does he really work good out of bad situations? Why would he give me this desire and then not come through for me? What if I don't like what he plans for me?

Somehow, we find ourselves having submitted a stack of forms to become certified for fostering. Initially, our plan is foster respite care. That's where we would host a child for 2-7 days while their foster parents get some respite. They don't want foster parents burning out or having their marriages neglected but they cannot just leave the kids with grandma and grandpa the way most families do... that's where we'd come in. We felt like this is a good way to sort of test it out and help at the same time. Wondering, "are our hearts, gifts, and lives made for this?" If so, we would consider being traditional foster parents.

I had lunch with a man whose family has fostered 3 siblings for over two years. It certainly hasn't all been easy. But without hesitation he said they would all totally do it all over again. These three kids have grown and developed in so many ways and literally have a bright and hopeful future where before there wasn't one. The oldest was poised to fail at school... now he makes straight A's and wants to become a doctor one day. Amazing. Meanwhile, his biological family have all matured, become less self centered, and know God more intimately as well. There is such beauty in this!!! Such adventure and meaning!!

To abandon your preconceived notions and let go of the steering wheel of your life and put God in the driver seat IS adventure! It's meaningful, hard, victorious, full, and transformational. So why am I afraid of it!? Why is it so scary to let go and put my life in God's hands? Do I not trust him? Do I not believe him to be good? Do I not believe in his word that says, "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you."? Am I so lazy that I wouldn't be up for something difficult? Do I want to come to the end of my life and realize that I never truly lived but only played it safe and never achieved much lasting impact in this world?

I do not know what is on the horizon of my life's journey. But I will take this step today because I believe God has brought me to it... and I will trust him to guide the rest of my journey. I want to live for him. I want him to use me to make a difference in this world and in eternity, for his glory. I want to know him better. I don't want my life wasted on "playing it safe."

Heavenly Father, guide me. Guide us. Grow us. Help us to trust you. Help us to stay connected to you. Help us to prayerfully seek to walk with you. Give us clear confirmation in our spirit with the steps you want us to take! We want to know we are walking with you. Make it clear! We want to know when we step off your path, so please, correct us and bring us back to your path. Open our heart and mind's eye to see you. Help us to avoid the temptation to write the second half of the story by our own imagination or desire, but instead allow you to lead us on all the twists and turns or straightaways that YOU have planned for us. Lead us in the way everlasting. In Jesus name, amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi