Skip to main content

A Unified Vision

It is said, "A house divided will fall."

I have been praying for more than a year that God would unite my wife and I in a unified vision for our marriage. A shared purpose. A calling if you will. Of course there is the obvious, "Tell people about Christ." As well as, "glorifying God in all that we do." But these statements are broad and apply to every follower of Christ. What I was praying for was something that my wife and I can unite together, as a team, in order to pursue. Something worth fighting for.

As my previous blog described, God seemed to move in us as we prayed for our future children. That God would make us uncommon parents. Parents that don't fit in with the rest of America, because we fit in better with the Kingdom of God. The mission: raise kingdom minded world changers.

Several days went by and I was reading a book that I thought was totally unrelated to parenting. The author shifted gears for a chapter and started describing ways to help your children navigate living as sheep among wolves. One of the ideas presented was to make your home the preferred "hang out" for your children and their friends. If this is accomplished, you'll know who they are hanging out with. You'll know what kind of influences are entering their world. Thus, you know how to defend against the strategies of the enemy. In addition, you can be a very positive influence in the lives of other children who may not have such good examples of love in their lives.

This really piqued my interest. I recalled several childhood friends whose houses were perfect examples of the "preferred hangout." I really got excited. I started remembering times in the distant past, when I used to dream about what life would be like in my future, with kids. I desired my house to be "the house." Backyard bar-b-ques, endless summer nights in the pool. I even had "Movie Pool" night where a family friendly movie was projected to a back yard screen as a pool full of friends and their children looked on. There would be pool tables, ping-pong tables, etc. This vision wasn't just about fun. It is about gaining an audience for Christ.

I shared my thoughts with Vanessa. She said she had the same thought just weeks before. To me this seemed just a little more confirmation of our unified vision. Our divine mission... something worth fighting for.

"Father, I know there are obstacles in between us and this vision that is from you. But that is okay. Because you are God! You are all powerful... and you love us. You are giving us this mission. I can trust you to remove those obstacles as we walk forward in the path you lead us down. Father, I ask that your Holy Spirit keep us focused and attentive. Give us discernment to know your voice and follow where Jesus our shepherd leads. Lead us into your divine will. I pray that you be glorified in our difficulties through delivering victories. I pray that your glory not stop there but continue to have ripple effects across space and time. Father, use us to change the next generation. In Jesus name, Amen."

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi