Skip to main content

Praise: Despite or For?

A few blogs ago, I relearned a lesson of praising God even when in pain. My way of praising was to recognize and praise God for all of the wonderful attributes of himself and other areas in my life that feel blessed. God said... "That's great. But its not enough!"

Yesterday came and seemed it would shape up to be a decent day. Things changed. Vanessa had a bad pain descend on her abdomen and it was unrelenting. Usually, the pain comes in a wave. Coming. Going. This time, it came and stayed. She took some pain medicine. Curled up in a ball. Prayers sent up asking for speedy relief. I texted some friends and family asking for their powerful prayer as well. Thank you for the prayers.

Before pain had a chance to be relieved, my wife sought God. Isn't this why God created pain? It is to direct us to address a problem, turning to Him. Vanessa loaded up the most recent Lifechurch.tv sermon on her computer. We had missed church this past week. I was working and she felt too bad in the evenings to go. Just the title alone inspired a sense of significance. The Holy Spirit ministered to my wife and let her know. "This message is for you. It is what you need!" It's what I needed as well.

The sermon was on our identity in Christ as an overcomer. More than conquerers! Romans 8:37 "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." Romans 8:35 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or anguish, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?"

Pastor Craig painted a picture of the mentality of someone who knew they belong to Christ and are thus designed for God to conquer the obstacles of life. First off, WE ARE NOT VICTIMS!!! Victims cry out "Poor me! God isn't paying attention and he doesn't care. I'm doomed to suffer forever and wither away. Life will always be full of misery."

WE ARE OVERCOMERS IN CHRIST!!! The talk of an overcomer: "GOD! This is all too much for me, but it is NOT too much for YOU!!! Nothing can separate me from you! You love obstacles, because when you crush them, our faith grows and you are glorified! God thank you for loving me enough to allow this hardship to come, because I anxiously and excitedly await to see your power and glory displayed as you crush this obstacle! Wiping it out of my life. Bringing me closer to you! God, I know you are good! I know you don't waste hurts. I know you would have only allowed this pain to come IF there were something bigger and more profound that could not be accomplished otherwise. You ONLY have the best of plans! I trust you! I am your servant! I PRAISE YOU FOR ALLOWING THE PAIN, because without it... I would fail to see your glory displayed. I would fail to be shaped into the likeness of your son. I would fail to receive your full blessing."

As I saw my wife's faith being strengthened... As I saw God accomplishing a very important thing in her heart... I realized, this could not have happened if the pain didn't come that day. We wouldn't have watched the sermon. Even if we did, her heart wouldn't have been desperate and ready to receive the message to the depth it was.

God, I praise you FOR allowing the pain. Satan intended it to harm us, but God... you intended it for good. (Genesis 50:20)

I can see that the past three years of health struggles aren't just about our physical health. He is accomplishing something that will last a lifetime. Nay, BEYOND our lifetime. He is breaking us... ridding ourselves of all sorts of sin and selfishness. Making us willing servants who joyfully live by the Spirit. For HIS kingdom. He is helping us to see and know him better! He is making us better. Better able to serve him. More able to represent him and serve others. Ephesians 2:10 - "God has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do." But as we were... we were not ready or willing to serve. He is getting us ready. Just as he readied Joseph in Genesis.

God, I praise you FOR allowing the pain.

David



Key Scripture:

Psalms 42:11 Why am I discouraged? Why am I restless? I trust you! and I will praise you again because you help me, and you are my God.

James 1:12 "God will bless you, if you don't give up when your faith is being tested. He will reward you with a glorious life, just as he rewards everyone who loves him."

Romans 8:28-29 - "We know that in all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose. Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many believers."

Phil 1:6 - "he who began the good work within you will keep right on helping you grow in his grace until his task within you is finally finished on that day when Jesus Christ returns."

James 1:4 - "Don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed."

2 Continthians 12:9-10a - “I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. Since I know it is all for Christ's good, I am quite content with my weaknesses.” - contentment in our weaknesses is an expression of faith in God's goodness.

Philip 4:13 - Christ gives me the strength to face anything.

Romans 8:26 Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi