Skip to main content

Attack of the False Beliefs.

There are little whispers of thoughts that occur deep down. I never verbalized mine, but they were there. "Life is never going to turn out the way you'd hoped." or "God has forsaken you." At first I resisted. As the days went by and I kept getting smacked in the face by these little whispers, I cracked. I said, "it's true." Again, these thoughts were never verbalized or shared, but they killed hope.

What happens next? A resignation. A denouncing of God's promise. I felt "I'm really not ever going to have any lasting joy." What do you do when you believe that? For me, I felt that in life... I'd just have to "grind it out"... Do what I'm supposed to do. Because I belong to God. Joy, though, wasn't an option. I'd have to settle for periodic "relief". Relief in the form of little distractions that cause me to feel good for just a little bit, before I have to face reality again.

This is the plot of the devil. He will "first try to take away all joy from my life. Wear me down. Then, weary and thirsty, I would be quite vulnerable to some counterfeit joy. It would start with mild addictions, then build to something worse. Thus he would destroy all that God has done in and through me. It was so obvious." (John Eldridge. Walking With God.)

John Eldridge hit the nail on the head. This is the plan of the evil one. This is what he intends. Yet as we know from scripture... What Satan plans for evil, God can use for good. God may be allowing this difficult time in life, but I think he wants me to get something good from this time. Get that real happiness (joy) isn't dependent on any outward circumstance, but comes from him. He wants to teach me how to find his joy. I've found it at brief moments, but then I lose my way. He wants me to learn to live it, day in and day out. Nehemiah 8:10 "The joy of the LORD is your strength." My strength to survive this trial is going to come from the strength that is the joy of the Lord. For the moments I've had it, the difficult wasn't distressing. I didn't have this fear looming over me. That isn't from God. 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

"God, help me to see the attacks of Satan... to acknowledge they are lies meant to destroy me. Help me remember your word, your truth. Defeat the attacks of the evil one and deliver me into your joy and your hope. Amen."

You are either moving forward, or backwards. There is no middle ground, no "staying the same." We MUST move forward.

David

ADDENDUM: God not only wants us to experience a joy that is not dependent on circumstance, but he ALSO wants us to experience pleasure. Why else did he create sex, beautiful sunsets, delicious food, and endorphins?! He delights when we delight in the good things he gives us! I have scripture to back this up.

Psalm 104:14-15,28 (NIV)
He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate---bringing forth food from the earth: [15] wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart. [28] When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.

Psalm 103:1-5
Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. [2] Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--- [3] who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, [4] who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, [5] who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Note... This says "good things" not exactly what YOU think is best... What he thinks is best. So, NOT an affair... Not addictions. Not someone else's demise. Just good things... and yes, good includes pleasure. He invented pleasure after all. It is Satan who perverts it. Satan tries harness it for your destruction.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:50 PM

    Comment payback time--ha! Thanks for sharing, David--I really enjoyed this post. "Counterfeit joy" is such a dangerous thing, so enticing in times of suffering and such a subtle form of attack. Anyway, thanks again--very insightful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi