Skip to main content

Joy and Happiness

Happiness... easy to define. "A state of well-being or contentment based on life's circumstances being favorable to one's desires."

Joy... as a Christian, I think we all know what it is, but to put it into words that clearly communicate its meaning is tougher to do, as it is a little tougher to experience. This is my attempt to define Joy: "A state of well-being, peace, and contentment that transcends life's circumstances as is attributed to one's sense that God is in control of life, that He is good and is working to bring good in all situations."

To have an opportunity to examine whether you have Joy or not, you must be subjected to "long suffering". Temporary suffering, where one can see the light at the end of the tunnel just won't do... you need to be lead into a darkness so deep that in no direction is one able to see the light. It is from that place that God wants you to look to him to experience Joy. From there, you know any sense of peace is not from circumstance, but faith.

I have had glimpses of Joy, but it has not matured as of yet. God is still working on me... breaking me... teaching me to trust him, and to look to him for Joy, instead of looking to the world for happiness. I do believe without doubt that God is real, is love, and is "working on me."

Though I recognize this process is necessary if I want a deeper relationship with God and more out of life, it is still exceedingly painful. If I had my druthers I'd probably talk God into letting me out of this process early and accepting a relationship with him that is a bit more shallow but a bit less painful. (The pain has been so bad, and the darkness so deep that death doesn't look all that bad... yes, that's how bad it can be...) But God views pain differently than I do! To him, pain isn't the worst thing... separation from him is the worst thing. And as I remember, 5 years ago God asked me in the middle of an ophthalmology clinic if I would follow him into the darkness in accordance to his will... and I said yes after many tears. I said yes because I wanted a life of intimacy with him. A life that was more than a selfish pursuit of meaninglessness.

During this journey through the darkness be on the look out for the enemy. The enemy tries to poison this process with temptations of the flesh, chemicals, or even emotional temptations. Do not give in... they can bring devastation to you and loved ones.

So, as you can tell... I'm still on my journey in the darkness... I still praise God and call Jesus my savior. I believe God loves me and has my best interest in mind and is working in all circumstances to bring about good to those who love him. I honestly can't imagine how he's going to lead me out of the darkness, it still seems impossible, but that just means I can't do it by my own power... so when I finally emerge into the light, it will be all a result of God's power and God's love and God will get the glory.

"Dear God, I know that you know I'm hurting... I trust you. Please lead my wife to healing. Lead our relationship to health, maturity and intimacy. Restore us mind, body and soul. Help us gain a deeper relationship with you and to find a mature Joy that will last a life time. Be glorified in all that we go through. I pray that you will finally lead us out of this darkness, but even if you don't I will praise you all of my days."

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i