Skip to main content

Your life is not all about you.

"Your life is not all about you" was a status update that I wrote on Facebook. It was perhaps the most profound status update i've ever posted and I got zero comments and only one "like" by Emil, lead singer and the song writer behind one of the most majestic bands this region of the country has seen the likes of. Below are my thoughts regarding what underwhelming response I had to my "most profound" status update:


First off, thank you Emil. I know you to be a poetic soul. I know not of your spiritual or political world views but that little digital image of a "thumbs up" speaks volumes.

Second... I wonder why so little attention? Maybe people didn't understand what it means. Maybe they don't believe it to be true. Maybe they do get it, believe it to be true, but choose to ignore it and live for themselves.


Third. "Your life is not all about you" is actually quite tame... its actually been watered down, because it leaves room for the interpretation that, while its not "all" about you... it could still be >50% about you. But its not meant to be.

Taking it deeper part 1.

As a husband... my life is first not about me... my life is for my wife. People say, "i'd die for my spouse." Great... will you live for her? Will you sacrifice your dream to make hers a reality? I watched my grandfather dedicate himself to the care of my physically frail grandmother in her final years. It was awe inspiring. Each and everyone of us should love our spouses with that dedication every year of our lives.

Taking it deeper part 2:

As a follower of Christ... my life is not my own. My life belongs to God, for his glorification. Meaning, if people look at my life, they will see evidence that God is real, he is Lord and he is love. Truth: God is love... He is not a God of "pain relief" or "health & wealth". I belong to him, so if he chooses to allow
me to be in pain and agony, this is okay... and it is still loving. The way I respond to this "tough spot" in life can give him Glory... and in the process I get blessed by getting more of Him... the greatest thing in the universe that I could ever have.

My sermon is now over.
My life will be sacrificed daily for God's glory...
Secondly, I joyfully give my life to my wife. Because this is love... and sometimes it hurts like hell, but it will always be the most profound thing a person has to offer this vast universe, so I offer it up.

dngilb md

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi