Skip to main content

Continue in Confusion

We have been reading an old book, but new to us. "The Cross and the Switchblade" by David Wilkerson. It's an amazing book. It starts with God, through the Holy Spirit, calling this rural pastor to do something to help these hurting boys who were on trial in New York City for a heinous crime. So, he goes to New York with NO PLAN… and never gets to talk to these boys… EVER. He even gets thrown out of court and his picture is in the news paper and is humiliated. But God never intended for him to talk to those boys. Those boys were a representation of thousands, nay, tens of thousands of boys and girls hurting and addicted to drugs and living in violence all over the world.

The book goes on to chronicle this blind man being led by the spirit. As he yields to the Holy Spirit, miracles keep happening. The end of the story, there are thousands of "Teen Challenge" centers across the world ministering to hopeless kids since 1958. God is freeing people from addictions and giving them love and sending them into hope. But never in a million years would David Wilkerson been able to predict this is where his life would go. Yet, in his yielding, God created something amazing.

Has God healed my wife? I was hesitant to say yes… I wanted to see longer time off of the medication and to see her continuing to be free from abdominal migraines. It's been 3 months without Lyrica, the miracle pill that God led her body to… through which he shut down the abdominal migraines almost completely. Every once in a while, she would experience a very mild feeling that was attributed to abdominal migraine. But nothing so severe as to need any rescue medication to get through it.

Then… as we sat in the movie theater being moved by God's gift through Jesus as we watched "Son of God" she began having an abdominal migraine. It was mild and went away. However, this morning she had one that escalated to the point where she felt like she couldn't hold still, couldn't sit up, couldn't lay down, couldn't breathe. Lyrica. Ativan. These stop bad migraines. Must be off them for pregnancy, which we still hope to accomplish. She's doing better now… but we are confused. Especially my dearest love. She is confused and angry.

God… What does this mean? I am reminded of David Wilkerson. He must have been completely lost feeling along his spirit led journey a thousand times. I think of Jesus' disciples… how lost they must have felt when Jesus was arrested and was hanging from a cross. It all makes perfect sense to our Heavenly Father. It all makes sense to hindsight… but we are not beyond our tribulation. I believe God wants us to continue on… in the midst of our confusion. Continue with faith and hope, in him.

"Father, help us hang on to you and your word to us. Help us hang on to faith. Help us serve you willingly, with faith and hope. Help my wife to process this through your truth, not through fear. Amen"

One day, I will be able to tell you of how he delivered. Of how the things God spoke to us have come to pass. How our faith was not in vain. I will be able to point to no other explanation beyond, God is good… and faithful. I believe.

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi