Skip to main content

Psalm 23... Want?

In Psalm 23 it says, "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want." During this phase in life in which I find life extremely difficult, having a wife with chronic health issues that really limits life... it is hard to fathom "not being in want." How can I not want something good and as natural as feeling good. The scripture makes it pretty clear that God enjoys blessing his people by giving them children... how could you "not be in want" if you were desiring this but couldn't have children?

During a group Bible study, some men, who are a little further along in life than I, talked about when their teenage daughters were wanting to date some boy but they knew the boy was a bad influence. The desire the girls had was a good and natural, but hopefully the teenager would trust their father enough to heed his direction. The father was acting out of a deep appreciation and care for his daughter's deeper desire and was trying to help her reach it.

So now, to not "be in want" you must trust that God does in fact love you and acknowledge that he knows your deepest desires... not just your desire to escape pain, and trust Him to take you to your deepest desires... even though you have to go through pain to get there.

When I type this... it sounds so simple... easy... it isn't. When the storm of life is upon you, you suffer. But we must learn to "dance in the rain" not just "wait for the storm to end." Imagine Paul in the Bible... what if he didn't dance in the rain? If he would have just waited for the storm to pass (pursuing an escape of pain) we would have no church... we would have a poorer Bible and a poorer understanding of what Christ did for us and how to follow him. In fact, all of Christianity is based on being able to grow past simply trying to escape pain, and learning to be joyful in Christ during the storms of life. If so, why should I expect God to deliver us from our pain when we still haven't truly learned how to "dance in the rain."

God, since we find ourselves in storm, please help us learn how to dance in the rain.

David

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi