Skip to main content

A work day to remember.

As you know, life has been heavy. The lives of my patients are heavy as well. I found this to be burdensome to my mind and spirit... and thus my body as well. I had dreams of being a radiologist. Radiology use medical knowledge, but the patients are just images... just a puzzle to solve. I don't have to look the suffering in the face day in day out. As a hospitalist, I wondered, "just how long can I do this?"

Today, I had my favorite patient ever. He was an amazing blessing to me! To me, it was a divine appointment. At first he was impressive to me because at the age of 69 he took on the cause to lose weight. he started walking 2.5 miles a day, lifting weights, and started writing down every single item he ate. "turns out I ate way too much" he said. He lost 50 pounds! He looked so vital. Next, is what really impressed me... he started talking about Jesus. Not just the way I talk about Jesus... with even more love and passion than I can explain. As he was talking of Jesus the nurses ran in because the heart monitor read that his heart rate went from 100 up to 140 and they were worried about him. No he didn't convert to AFIB or have a run of VTAC. It was sinus... Now that's excited for Jesus!!! We shared from our lives. He and I were doing some of the same things wrong, and God used each of us to point out how we had been showing little faith in him, because we are trying to carry other people's burdens, instead of trusting their burdens to God. He also gave me advice at how to pray regarding Vanessa's health problems. He said, "don't just pray for healing... pray for God to show you the truth." He related a story from about 30 years ago. He was suffering some very real health problems, and he prayed that prayer. God revealed to him what he wanted him to do. His health problems resolved much to the amazement of his doctor. I know more details than I share, but for brevity's sake... God healed him through his obedience and through his spiritual growth. The mind, body, and soul are not separate... they are one.

The rest of my work day was blessed. I walked into many rooms with patients in terrible sad situations... some very sick people who have been going through a long suffering trial... but instead of feeling torn down by it, I prayed earnestly with them. I empathized with them. I encouraged them. Well, more accurately, I was God's instrument as he loved them. I felt alive. I felt that I was living out one of my God given purposes on this Earth... this is what he has prepared me for.

dngilb md.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i