Skip to main content

My grandfather's obituary.

Dr. Leon (L.N.) Nelson Gilbert, Jr., age 91, went to be with our Lord and Savior early Sunday morning, Oct. 11, 2009. Family and friends were by his side through the week until his passing. Leon is remembered as a wonderful, loving husband, father, and grandfather, a special friend, a caring and beloved family physician, and a visionary servant-leader in the Bethany community and the State of Oklahoma. He also served in various capacities as a member of Bethany First Church of the Nazarene. We grieve our great loss and rejoice in his eternal gain. Leon was born to Leon Nelson Gilbert, Sr. and Alice Level Gilbert in Elmer (near Altus) Oklahoma, on May 3, 1918. He later moved to Norman to complete high school and met Geraldine Ella Shobert, whom he married, December 23, 1938. After 65 years of marriage, Geraldine passed away on January 31, 2004. They lived in Norman while Leon completed his BA in sociology at OU. After moving to Tulsa, Leon worked with the WPA for two years, placing people in jobs. Next he joined the Army as a 2nd Lieutenant and trained at Ft. Sill, where his twin sons were born. He served overseas in the artillery and participated in the Normandy invasion and Battle of the Bulge. He attained rank of Major and received a Bronze Star, having served in the Army for five years. After his discharge the family moved to Dallas. Leon received his medical degree from the University of Texas School of Medicine in 1950 and opened his family practice in Honeygrove, Texas. After two years they moved to Bethany, Oklahoma, where he practiced medicine for 45 more years. He donated his services to pastors, missionaries, and school athletic teams for their annual physicals. His community service was extensive. It includes serving on the Oklahoma Welfare Commission for 23 years, the board at First Bethany Bank and Trust since 1964, Bethany First Church of the Nazarene board for 40 years, the general church board and the board of trustees at SNU. He paid college tuition for a number of students, was a major supporter of the Bethany Public Schools, coached church little league baseball, and taught Sunday School. Leon attended OU football games for over 40 years. He was very actively involved with his sons and their various activities. Leon is survived by their two sons, Jerald Milton and James Melvin Gilbert; his brother, Ronald Edward Gilbert; grandchildren: Brooke Zacheis, Vince, Leslie, David, Christopher, Belle, and Ashley Gilbert; and five great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Opal Smith, Erma McClung, and Ruth Neal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi