Skip to main content

Getting Away With Murder

Okay, this is wierd. We had an elderly patient in the ICU with this history. The husband who is wheelchair bound heard his wife yell from the kitchen, then he heard a loud crash... then nothing. He knew it was something bad, so he began trying to wheel himself into the kitchen... he's weak enough that this took a great deal of time, greater than 5 minutes. By the time he got there, he saw his beloved wife laying across the ground with her shirt pulled up in front... her hands and face appeared blueish, and she felt cold to his touch. Strewn about the floor were the usual things they keep on their counter. The despirate man attempted CPR for several minutes, but knew if he didn't get EMSA there it would be of no use. He called 911. By the time EMSA arrived it had been at least 15 minutes that she had been down. EMSA got her heart beat back, and intubated her and were breathing for her. She ended up spending three days in the ICU... she was brain dead. Her heart was strong and she was previously healthy. We assumed she had a heart arrhythmia that had occurred, caused decreased cerebral perfusion, syncope, then arrest. After the third day, and a flat EEG, the family decided to compassionately extubate her... the right decision. Then a few weeks later on the front page of the Tulsa World newspaper... was a picture of our patient. A newspaper thrower was arrested for murder for some other person, and he ended up confessing to multiple murders, some that the police didn't even know had happened... one of which was our patient. We felt shocked that a murder could slip pass us without us knowing it. But there were no signs of strangulation or struggle. He likely smothered her without much struggle. No further medical examination could be done as she was cremated. I felt horrible for the family, the husband in particular... he really needed her help to take care of his daily living. This just doesn't sound like something that should happen. It should only be in the news from a far away city, it shouldn't actually cross paths with my life.

The world has some screwed up people in it. And there seems to be quite a few of them in Tulsa.

dngilb md

Comments

  1. update from 2009:

    the guy who confessed, later recanted and was taken to trial. he was acquitted... he didn't even know this lady had died recently when he confessed... he didn't even really know the lady, so how would he know to admit killing her if he hadn't done it!!! Crazy... i can't believe he got away with it.

    Complicating matters, the poor husband who is unable to care for himself is now in a financial quagmire and in an attempt to help himself decided to sue the Tulsa World... i guess for hiring someone with a criminal record who ended up killing his wife.

    I gave a deposition, my first one. It wasn't bad since I wasn't on trial. It was good to have the experience from that perspective, so if I ever have to give a deposition when I am the one being sued, it hopefully won't be as scary.

    I still can't believe he got off.

    dngilb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi