Skip to main content

Where do we go from here?

I remember back to the days just after college. I was in medical school. Everything was new. New friends, new lifestyle, discovery at every turn. I felt like I had finally entered into my own skin. The possibilities for my future, limitless! Life had such potential, like a stem cell, my life was totipotent. It could become ANYTHING!

I live in Oklahoma. If you’ve ever driven to the mountains of Colorado you’ll be familiar with the uninspiring flat drive through Oklahoma, Kansas and Western Colorado. There isn’t anything to give you hints of what excitement and majesty lie ahead. It is just a long wait. Much like that long drive through the flatlands, my childhood, high school career and college were merely the long flat road trip, but now, I’m driving into the foothills. I can feel the excitement building. I can see the terrain changing! Soon, I will be out of the car. Soon, I’ll be hiking through the pine trees, headed to the summit.

When I turned 30, I was in residency. I’m living an adventure! Staying up all night, learning how to be a doctor in a hospital…actually saving lives! It was thrilling and scary! I was also newly married. My beautiful bride! We enjoyed toying with ideas of moving to exotic places. Life still had the feeling of unlimited possibility!

Then, life hit. Then it hit again. And again. It keeps hitting. It’s not hitting other people like its hitting us. Health for my wife seems so fragile. I don’t feel like there is a stable foundation in our lives. 

Now, here I am, 41… I no longer feel totipotent. How did life ever become this? Is this just a perspective problem? I spend way too much time fearing the future, dreading my eventual sickness, immobility and death. Fearing financial insecurity. Feeling limited by the adversity that life has sent our way. Feeling too tired to pursue change or adventure. I feel disillusioned. I no longer have the possibility of endless options. I feel like I’m left with just a small handful of options from which to choose.

I struggle to see “what option do I want to choose?” Because now I’m hyper-focused on “What might I lose if I choose that option?” Why do I feel like this? Why is fear of loss the focal point of my minds eye? Is this because I’ve experienced some major emotional losses and I’m scared of having even more? Is it because my wife’s health difficulties has made the very foundation of life feel fragile? Maybe its because I’m burned out on being a doctor and any major change would involve me having to put a great deal more energy into work because starting a new job as a hospitalist means learning a new system, culture, and consultants. I’m just not that excited about practicing medicine anymore. I find myself haunted by thoughts of “how long can I keep doing this?” 

What do I want my life to be like?

Observations that I ponder on while trying to answer this question includes the following.

1. I find time with family and the friends, the friendships that feel like family, to be very rich and meaningful. (Most of which are in Oklahoma.)

2. I find inner peace when I’m immersed in nature’s beauty. (Though, only when nature is within  a comfortable range of temperatures, not Oklahoma summer.)

3. I like spending time with my wife, outside of the house. (In the summer, this consists of being bored and going to Whole Foods, or walking in the mall (we aren’t shopping).

4. I like hiking in mountains.

5. I like golf. I liked being on a golf team. (one of my other career ideas was a college golf coach.)


6. My wife and I both like travel and exploring new places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i