Skip to main content

Divine Appointments: Laguna Beach.


The first few days in Laguna Beach have been great. The constant battle against health problems and strategies of our enemy who wants to destroy hope (and us) seem to be held at bay. We are getting much needed rest and restoration... Oh, but how quickly things can change.

Vacation day 3, everything changes. On the way to breakfast, my wife is hit with a serious wave of nausea. She thought she was going to be sick. She marks out the path to the bathroom in case of emergency. The nausea gives way to severe bad abdominal pain. We had already ordered food, so instead of going back to the house she lays in the parked car while the rest of us try and finish up. The pain didn't really begin to let up till late afternoon. It's nothing new, we should be used to it... but I felt very discouraged. I journaled to God my raw emotions.

"God. Father. I feel scared. I feel this sense of future defeat... Like I might as well just give up now and stop trying to really live life... and stay at home. I will miss out on life, but it is easier, and I don't have to confront disappointment... I'm just feeling defeated. God help me. Are you even there?!! Speak to me! please God!!!" (that's the abbreviated version.)

I've been journaling like this for just a few weeks. My next step is to journal as though God were speaking to me and sharing truth from his Word. So, I proceeded to hit the usual scriptures I've been leaning on for the past three years or so. I believe them in my mind, but my heart struggles to feel them.

Minutes later...
I see a young woman coming up the steps to the front door. "Door to door sales people always have the best timing!" I think sarcastically. I planned on telling her to leave. I worked it out in my head, "I'm not the homeowner, I'm on vacation!" But I didn't.

I listened as Shaynee told me how at 18 years of age, she was a broken alcoholic. She blacked out, she doesn't remember what happened at her rock bottom. When she woke she was in jail, but she wasn't alone. God was pursuing her! From there He led her to TeenChallenge. A 12 month inpatient Christian based rehab. She had nothing left to lose... she gave Jesus a chance. She told of how during her ascent out of this painful valley God brought healing and restoration to places she didn't even know existed. But they were there, deep within her heart and her past. She discovered the words of King David were true. Psalms 71:20 - though you have me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up.

Shaynee told of how through the glory of God revealed in her life, others came to know him as well. Her brother gave his life to Christ. Others as well. Revelation 12:11 says, "They overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony." Sometimes, preaching isn't enough. Sometimes all the scripture in the world falls on deaf ears... hardened hearts. But the story of God's power transforming someone's life is a beacon to the lost.

I shared with her where I was just minutes before. That I was journaling a prayer to God, one of my fears and doubt. I told her that her story really touched me and strengthened me. A divine appointment. A Reminder. A proof. God is in this valley! He IS leading us out! She prayed for Vanessa and I. We prayed for her.

Glory to God! Praise his name!

David

PS. Skeptical of divine appointments? I understand... You call them coincidence. But they are just too perfect and too poignant to be coincidence. Often, both sides of the appointment receive much needed a message, encouragement, affirmation, etc. Take this one for example:

Shaynee was feeling discouraged. Doors in the face and all. It had been months since she had a "divine appointment"... In my experience, divine appointments are rarely one sided. In this instance, all three of us were reaffirmed and encouraged. Now, for this encounter to occur, many things had to fall into place. Vanessa had to be sick, so we'd be stuck at home. Also, our California hosts had to be out of the house. They had just run to the store. (otherwise they would have answered the door and probably sent her on her way.) AND Vanessa had to recover from feeling horrible just soon enough that she could come outside and stand there listening to Shaynee's testimony... Also, there is only ONE DAY A YEAR that Laguna Beach allows door to door charity inquiries!!! and ALL of this happened! All at the precise right moment.

GOD IS IN THIS!

The message to my wife and I: The road to healing is long. The enemy will continue to attack. God will bring healing to the deeper issues likely before we are physically healed. He will lead us to a better place. Many others will be brought to Christ by the words of our testimony, God's power and love revealed! AMEN!!!

The message to Shaynee: God is using her testimony and her efforts to serve for his purpose! Continue on! You are God's warrior!

Click to learn more about Teen Challenge.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:38 PM

    So true about knowing these things in our heads but having trouble feeling them in our hearts. Thank you for this post--it lifted me up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i