Skip to main content

A Pale Church

Matthew 10:5-11,16 (NIV)
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions… "Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, preach this message: `The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey... I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."

The modern day reality:
Jesus sent out his people with the above instructions, but 2000 years later his people go and preach to believers, largely ignoring the lost. Their message is a message of comfort and smiles. They put on pretty and polished productions at their churches, go on ski trips, and have a divorce rate equal or greater than non-believers. They horde their wealth. Many don't tithe and they run up phenomenal debts. They barely tell their friends of Christ's love, let a lone go out to other towns or villages. They behave as dumb slugs and are as guilty as snakes.

My conviction:
The church is not a building. The church is US. And we pale in comparison to the church 2000 years ago.

What am I going to do?
I am going to boldly pray over my patients for divine healing.
I am going to share with my patients that Jesus Christ died for them.
I will share with people I know what God has done in and for me, and point them to the truth, the word of God.
I am going to work hard to love my wife and nurture our relationship and keep Christ at the center of it.
I am going to get out of debt and generously give to those who are in true need.
I am going to minimize my pursuit of earthly belongings to a practical level instead of always wanting more.
I am going to remain freed up to invest time in other's lives.
I am going to continue spending time daily in God's word.
I am going to continue praying daily for my friends and family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Forgetting the Obvious

Well, its been a while since I've written... busy busy busy... but tonight's call has given me moments of free time to relax, including a trip to starbuck's across the street, and with such beautiful weather, I'm so lucky. Now I sit, under flickering flourescents, listening to the shoegaze drone of "Bethany Curve" every bit as relaxing as a nice dose of zolpidem. what shall I muse on tonight? I've been thinking alot on mid-life crises. Who has them?  I think I'm the sort that would have one. Even at 27, I still find myself wondering, "Is this what I want my life to be like?" I don't envision a life full of work, with only moments of fellowship. This will be temporary. I am applying for ophthalmology again, though with less enthusiasm. In part, because no matter how much I struggle for something, the only way it will happen is if God's will includes it. Isn't that right? I struggled hard for ophtho once, and I didn't get i