Skip to main content

EMSA ride

When most people ride in an ambulance, its not a pleasant experience... as they are most likely severely injured or suffering from a heart attack or some other major health event. Possibly fighting for their very lives. Fortunately for me, my ride was a pleasant one. My opportunity came as a required part of my ER rotation.

Gas pedal pressed down. Way down. We just got a call over the radio. An hour of boredom now broken. Now, lights and sirens. Blazing a trail thru traffic in a top heavy truck at 60+ mph definitely has a certain excitement. The struts on ambulances were not designed for their purpose, every pot hole is it’s own adventure... and trauma. I reminisced about being a small boy and watching shows with car chase scenes and dreaming about driving like that, or being a hero racing to someone's aid. While I enjoyed it, it wasn't a big enough rush to make me want to change careers, but it still appealed to the adventure seeking boy in me.

The calls we responded to ran the gamut. There was a sweet little 91 year old lady in the nursing home who was having shortness of breath. Also, we had a 15 year old boy who was the victim of a senseless drive by shooting in the "hood" of North Tulsa. Seeing this poor innocent kid, bullet in leg, made me feel disgust. The sheer ugliness of man... How dirty and unholy we must be to God... Yet despite all our ugliness he persists in love. Even in the man behind the trigger of that senseless evil resides God’s love and mercy. Sustaining his every breath. Calling out to him from his long ignored conscience. He is one prayer away from being my brother in our awaiting eternity.

I also saw some pretty strange things. One call was in response to mentally handicapped girl who accidentally burned down her mother’s house. Another was for a homeless person who dialed 911 from a shelter because she didn't think the Sudafed that the free clinic gave her was helping her cold. I thought every single one of these people should have been the subject for a documentary.

As I was transposed into these people's lives, I realized just how vast this unseen segment of society really is... the “normal people” may not really be the majority. In fact, there may not even be any “normal people.” We may look wholly different and with unimaginable lives to someone else.

I imagined living in the shoes of some of those whom I met. If I were truly in their shoes, I admit, I may literally crumble or do any and everything to get out. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be judgmental, I’m no better, no worse... we are all sinners in this world. We are all God's children. I guess what I am impressed with is the sheer diversity of culture that is right here in our own back yard.


David MD

Comments

  1. Ambulances are too damned costly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are now linked to me....now BLOG!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi