Skip to main content

ADD and STDs

ADD and STDs

So I don't really think I have ADD, but I think if you have a continuum with ADD on one side, and SuperFocus Powers on the other end, I'd end up on the ADD half somewhere, but not too close to the end. In fact, I made it through medical school with out needing medication, and made some good grades. But there are times in medical school where some inattention really hurts (and I do mean "hurts").

1. STD clinic: Due to inattention to details, I screwed up a urethral swab on this innocent 19 year old who had sex for the first time. Since I screwed up the swab (throwing it away) I had to swab him again... AND evidently swabbing the urethra for a 2nd time in a day is much more painful than the first. But to compound the problem... I, in another fit of ADD, failed to pay attention to what culture tube I grabbed from the drawer. It was a pink tube for "women"... Now, I swear to this day that the two tubes contain the same solution... but I couldn't convince the nurse. So I had to swab the poor guy a third time... and yes #3 was 3x as painful as the first. I don't think that kid will ever have unprotected sex again.

2. DRE: no, that doesn't stand for Dr. Dre... It stands for digital rectal exam... How do you screw that up with ADD you ask. Well, I forgot something. Lubricating Jelly!!! but once I was halfway in, I wasn't going to tell the guy that I forgot the jelly... I figured he hadn't had one in probably years and years, so he won't remember that there is supposed to be jelly... so I just flexed my muscles and used a nice twisting motion to get that finger all the way up in there... he moaned and groaned a bit, but he took it like a man.

David MD

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:54 PM

    ADD???
    Well, maybe you are correct about the continuum...
    ...but what i really think probably caused all those errors is LOS. "Lack Of Sleep."

    ...Brother, i seriously dont know why those people who force you to work so much do it. It isn't great for you...it isn't great for the reputation of medicine, and it sure isn't good for the patients.
    I do stuff like that when i have been sleep deprived, or overworked. And i've never been put through an internship-like situation before.
    - your sis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage: Cultural Misconception Exposed.

Recently I had a single person ask me if marriage was difficult. I'm not sure I can make a statement that rings true in all and for all marriages.   My experience of marriage has been intertwined with my wife's difficult health problems. Thus my perspective has been colored. Facing life in the midst of these health problems has been the most difficult experience of my life. What I can say about marriage is that I was lied to almost my entire life. God did not invent marriage to "make us happy"... The lie propagated by nearly every facet of American society as a whole. A lie left largely un-refuted by church, or so it seemed to me. "Oh, he makes me so happy!" and then when he doesn't make you happy any longer... "I just don't love him anymore". Divorce then follows. The now single person starts looking for another source of happiness. The cycle repeats, as the broken and imperfect person seeks the wrong remedy. I do not mean to say that you

Bandon Oregon

I first played Bandon Dunes 8 years ago with my college buddies. It was beyond amazing! It was everything one could hope for, just epic! Between the mist, fog, break through sunlight, walks though dunes, pine forest, on the edge of 100’ cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean! It was simply amazing! Since then, I’ve only longed to go bock. Yet, our plans never seemed to gain traction towards  return trip to Bandon. After this 2023 last trip to Jackson Wyoming, I decided to stop waiting on others, and I planned a solo trip to Bandon. Part of being a real fan of golf, I think, involves the enjoyment of golf getting paired with other random golfers. We all share the somewhat of the same love for the game, or we wouldn’t be there. You can talk, but you don’t necessarily have to make conversation. Just talk about the golf, the surroundings, “good shot!” I initially set out for this to be a completely solo trip, just fly out on my own, but my wife ended up having a change of heart and desi